Sunday, September 7, 2008

Introduction: On Reading and Writing

My Mom always wanted to be a writer. Perhaps it's because she enjoyed reading so much. When she died, I found a notebook by her bedside which contained many of her thoughts and stories - most of which were incomplete or unfinished.

I have to admit, I was a young adult before I discovered my joy of reading. Quite often during our childhood, my Dad would pose the question my brother and I dreaded, "What have you been reading, lately?" For me the question was easily answered. I was usually aware of what my best friend was reading, so I would simply yell out, "Born Free," or whatever title she happened to be reading at the time. After all, reading about hicks that made their way across the prairie in covered wagons in search of a little house was not my idea of fun. I couldn't be bothered.

It would be years later when a different world opened up to me. A world where Lord Toranaga battled his enemies, a world in which a poor Oklahoma family made their way out West in search of a better life, and a world where the South thought they could never lose a civil war. I was awed by how easily I could lose myself in these stories. Every time I finished a book, I marveled at the writer's ability to transcend time and reach their readers. I would wonder why I couldn't do this myself. I came to realize with almost zen-like clarity that my Mother's love of reading must have sparked her own desire to write, much in the same way it happened to me.

Whenever I think of my Mother's notebook, I often wonder what content might have filled its pages had she found her voice. The thought of being a successful writer is truly a romantic notion. Truth is, it's hard. It's no wonder Harper Lee wrote only one novel.

A very dear friend of mine has known about my desire to write for some time now. Months of encouragement from him - and sometimes downright nagging - has prompted me to start this blog. This is my first real stab at writing anything. While I know I could never be the next Steinbeck, Clavell, or King, it is my hope that I will find my voice while working on my craft.

Oh, and Bill, I hope you're still keeping late nights. I'm gonna need your help!




2 comments:

Bill Cooney said...

An excellent first post. Let your mother's notebook inspire you and give life to all those little stories that want to come out.

Most of all - have fun.

E.M. Gray said...

Thank you, Billy.
I'll do my best. ;)